You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

The Norma Anders Public Library, formerly called the Dysart Public Library, became a library in 1931.  It was started by the Dysart Legion Auxiliary and was housed in the Legion Hall.  In 1937 it was moved into the Dysart Community Building.  In November of 1942 the City Council passed an ordinance to take over the library.  The council appointed the board and they took over the running of the library with a small tax levy for funding.  

The Library then moved into the old fire station in 1970 which was then remodeled in 1972.  After the library became too crowded in that location it was determined that a bigger building was needed. Ground was broken for the new library in August of 2002 and the new 7250 square foot building was officially opened in July of 2003. It was then renamed the Norma Anders Public Library after the library's major benefactor.

The library currently provides eight patron computers, internet and wireless access,  fax and copy services, a meeting room and a group study room for public use.  We have year-round children's story hour and two book clubs.  

Interested in more history?  Check out the Historical Society.

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.